Featured Post

Wonder Oven - A Bean Bag that Cooks - Video

I attended the Hurricane Preparedness Fair at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston recently.  Last year, there were two of us at...

Friday, July 21, 2017

Instant Pot "Stuffed Peppers"


Image result for yellow, orange, red peppers

About two years ago I bought an electric pressure cooker, and along with my wonder oven, it has replaced my slow cooker.  Oh, my, the fun things I can do with it, and all in one pot.

I grew up using a pressure cooker.  My grandma always used one, and although I learned to have a lot of respect for it and why it's important to be careful with it, I was not afraid to use one.  My only disaster as a young wife was cooking beans in it.  I hadn't thought about the foam and pressure the beans would create, and it not only blew the plug but blew bean guts all over my kitchen ceiling!

Awhile back,  I bought a package of three peppers - red, orange, and yellow.  One night I was trying to figure out what to cook for dinner, and decided I'd try to make stuffed peppers with them in the "Instant Pot."   My husband loves this meal and it's something I make at least once a month now.  Have I mentioned how picky he is?  Having him say he LOVES it is really something!

Here's the process:

1.  Cook the rice in the pot for about 10 minutes on simmer, and then remove the rice to add later.

2.  Cook the ground beef in the pot.  Once it's cooked, drain the ground beef, if necessary, and add the rice.  My recipe calls for 1/3 cup.

3.  Stir and add the rest of the ingredients.  Mine comes straight from the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, and is so simple.  Basically, 3/4 lb. ground beef, 1/3 cup cooked rice, can of tomatoes, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning.  Add peppers.  When done, add cheese.   These are ingredients I always have on hand.

4.  Cut up your peppers - doesn't matter what color they are - and just place them in the pot.  The first time, I pushed them to the bottom of the pot and scooped the meat on top of them.  Last time I made them, I just laid them on top.

5.  Sometimes I just put the pot on simmer and let it cook for about 15 minutes.  Other times, I've set the pressure on low and just cooked it for 3 minutes.  Just depends on how big of a hurry I'm in.

6.  Once it's finished cooking, I add some grated cheddar cheese to the top and put the lid back on just to let it melt while I'm setting the table.   Because my husband likes potatoes, I usually cube and fry them to go along with the main course.Image result for stuffed pepper casserole


I love these one-pot wonders!  Using the Instant Pot has so many advantages - I just have to wash one pot; it's fast; it's easy; and keeps my kitchen cool.  I could do the same thing in the wonder oven, too, but I'd have to cook the ground beef and rice ahead of time, and this is just such a quick recipe, that there's really no need to let it cook all day.








No comments:

Post a Comment